Thursday, July 07, 2005

Terrible 2's

The terrible two’s. Oy. They hurt. There are times when I question my parenting ability. To the max. Last night was definitely one of them.

Last night was bath night. Not fun. I tried to wash her back. She screamed. I tried to sing. She screamed. I tried Elmo soap. She screamed louder. I then tried to wash her hair. She screamed. I tried again. She tried to bite me. That was the end of bath time.

My daughter is acting like a crazed lunatic. Oh. The terrible two’s.

I dried her off. She screamed. I tried to console her. No luck. After a few minutes she found a pen on the desk and proceeded to try and run around the bedroom with it. Not good. I took it away from her. She stopped, dropped and hit the floor. Kicking. Screaming. Crying. Shrieking. Maybe 10 minutes. Then she started hitting her head on the floor. Oh. It’s wooden. She literally moved to the carpet so that hitting her head on the floor didn’t hurt so much.

If I look at her it gets worse. 21 months old and she’s a lunatic. It’s natural the books all say. Perfectly normal. Normal? Not on your life. If I talk to her it gets worse. If I ignore her I still have to hear her.

It’s about control. That’s what it is. It makes no sense to me. I have to wash her hair. It needs to be done. She won’t let me do it. I have to do it. She can’t communicate with me. I can’t communicate with her. Both of us end up incredibly frustrated.

The terrible two’s are the same as adolescence. That’s what the books say. It’s Lilly when she’s 14 and wants nothing to do with me. She’s her own person now. She can say no. She can move on her own. She is her own person.

There are times when I question my parenting ability. To the max. Last night was definitely one of them.

2 Comments:

Blogger :| raven |: said...

lol i remember it well.

truly .. have you watched SuperNanny?

they give some fantastic tips and strategies on how to work with kids ... especially when they are in the throes of a tantrum .... i've seen some great things ...

you should check it out! Nanny 911 is okay too .. but SuperNanny is better.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Thanks Raven! I'll definately check it out.

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home