Friday, November 18, 2005

The Lazy Professor...

There is one. 1 class that I do not enjoy. Not. At. All. Assessment and Diagnosis. Emphasis on the Ass. Lackluster professor. Anything goes. No lectures. No presentation. Wings it. Week after week. That's what I paid 3 grand for. Right.

They know more than he does. They think. Ask a question and 4 of them respond. He does. Sometimes.

Assignments come and go. Week after week. Some formed "study groups." All of them were right. Every week. All had same answer. All firm in their convictions. I struggled. Still do.

I called one of them to discuss a case. Mine is right. She said. Firmly. I know it. How? I begged to know. The answers are in the book. Not our text book. But. The DSM Made Easy. Cheating? Kind of. Don't tell a soul. She said. Firmly. The answers are in a book the lazy professor uses.

I struggle. Get a 90. They use the book. Get 95. That's what it's all about. Right? Cheat to win. What if? That's what I want to know. What if?

What IF someone walks into your office as a high school counselor because they were caught cheating. What do you do? No big deal. You've done it yourself. Right? What do you tell them? How do you help them? You've done it yourself. You just were smart enough to not get caught?

If a grad student gets caught cheating and comes into your office for counseling as they might be booted from school. What do you say? No big deal. You've done it too. Right? You just didn't get caught. Mmm....

Sometimes I'm embarrassed to call myself a counselor. Sometimes people in my "profession" really are no better than the people they seek to help. Are we supposed to be? I think so.

Sometimes know-it-alls don't know it all after all. They just act like they do. But. They don't. I'd rather struggle than know-it-al. I think. But I secretly envy them. Grades are grades. But it feels better to get a 95 than a 90. It feels better to get an A than an A-. But. I think it feels even better to know I didn't cheat to win.

Only time will tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home