Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Turning the Tables...

Interesting month.

Left a comment on a web site. It was far from popular. Got an email from the author. It was far from thankful. Blogging is strange. Visit a blog to leave a comment so that people will come and read your stuff. If I write it and no one reads it what does that mean about me? Interesting stuff.

I'm a "therapist." The email said. I shouldn't have an opinion. If I do it better be nice and therapeutic. Bullshit. I take my therapist hat off every day. Not every now and then. I still have opinions. Thoughts. Needs. and even an idea now and then. Addicts don't like to hear how they kill themselves and others around then. Therapist or not. Grow up.

We end groups at my internship by standing in a circle. We say the serenity prayer. Our hands on each others' shoulders or placed gently in the middle of the back for support. The newest member has severe excema. Severe. We no longer touch shoulders or the middle of the back. She's an outcast now. Addicts still outcast each other. There are two with HIV. One with Hep C. Drug dealers, crack whore's, prostitutes, even a registered child sex offender. A murderer, a burglar, a wife batterer, a child abuser. Another watched her child die while she was high on crack. They were all touched. Not the new person though. No. "I can catch what she's got." Since when is excema contagious?

The world of therapy is messed up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home