Brokeback Backlash? Huh?

I’m starting to think that I’m the only gay guy in the USofA that didn’t really think Brokeback Mountain would clean up at the Oscars. What surprises me more is that voices in the gay community are saying it was because of homophobia and a “backlash” against the movie. No one is saying, okay, it won for adapted screenplay which it deserved, but it didn’t win best picture because maybe it wasn’t, nor did the lead actors win best actor or best supporting, because, um…maybe they weren’t? Why does it have to be because of homophobia? When Oprah lost was it racism? When Cher won was it because Bob Mackie threatened to design more tacky gowns if she didn’t? Face it fellow gays; the acting just wasn’t that good.
We were probably the last four (we went with another gay couple last weekend) gay guys to see the film and I while I loved the story, cinematography, and supporting roles, I wasn’t impressed with the acting in the lead roles. They were more like caricatures to me, than characters. Jake just didn’t pull it off, nor did Heath.
I found this quote interesting also: “Yet its release and much of the publicity surrounding it serve as a reminder that while many heterosexuals may embrace the quality of the filmmaking and the story’s inherent emotional pull, there remains widespread repugnance toward homosexuality that’s rooted deeply in the hearts and minds of straight Americans, including many professed liberals and hip Hollywood types.” It’s from the Advocate.com and my jaw dropped. The movie did not portray homosexuality in a positive light. It portrayed two men – one of which, Ennis, was probably bi-sexual mores so than hetero – who deeply hurt their families because they carried on what they thought was a secret love affair for decades. The most powerful scene in the entire movie for me was when Ennis’ wife catches him and Jack embracing and passionately kissing. She was devastated. Year after year Ennis packed his bags to secretly meet Jack while his kids screamed in the background. That, my dears, is repugnant.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home